Sunday, October 9, 2011
Socratic Seminar
I believe that the seminar went pretty good on Thursday. People were really able to tell what both essays were trying to say with education. The class went through a lot on Thursday but I thought that a big one that we missed was if we actually agree with what they are saying. Can education actually get you out of what some would say is inevitable for certain people? I do agree with the authors to a certain extent, but I believe the authors were not thinking about certain situations. I actually think some people are put in horrible situations at birth. Some people are born in areas where their school is not the best environment or best place to get an education. Some schools do have teachers that don't really care about the students or about teaching them. Another situation that makes education once again not the answer is if these people are really in a horrible situation where they have to work as much as they can so their family can eat and have a roof over their head. Doing all this would leave no time for school whatsoever. If they did go to school while having a job, would the student actually be able to focus on school while putting in as much hours as possible at their job? I honestly don't think so. Now don't get me wrong it can happen I even know someone who has done it, but 1 out of to many isn't that good of a percentage. Education can get you out but it would take a strong person to do it when it comes to poverty stricken families.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Michael,
ReplyDeleteGood points and I agree! Both authors certainly have an idealistic vision of what education can do for people.
Michael,
ReplyDeleteyou made a good point about the seminar, people didn't really state whether they agreed with it or not. i also liked how you threw that example in of the job and school.